Friday, February 6, 2009

William P. on His Favorite Things

I have a very special treat for the blog followers today. Rather than a whole post talking about how I still can't lift my arms after my recent boxing match, I thought I'd share some writings from my favorite undiscovered writer. Back in my teaching days, we started class each day with a journal topic. This particular student never failed to make me laugh and has given me permission to post some of his writing. Below is his journal on "My Favorite Things."

Well, I have a lot of favorite things, so writing this shouldn't be too hard.

I love music, plain and simple. Music is like a drug to me, I've just go to have it. I listen to nearly every genre (well everything but country, except two or three songs I listen to when doing drive-bys in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas). Speaking of GTA, I also love playing video games. I've been playing ever since my brother went to college and gave me his Nintendo Entertainment System (or simply Nintendo) as an early fourth birthday gift. Since then, I've had a Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Gamecube, XBox, and an XBox 360 (my favorite).

I've never been big on watching TV, but over the past two years, I have become addicted to watching certain shows: Smallville, Lost, Heroes, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Intervention, and two others that just stand out. My favorite show would have to be House MD. Gregory House is the coolest, most arrogant, prescription-drug-addicted doctor ever. The other show is Family Guy. BEST. Cartoon. Ever. "Nuff said.

More random favorite things are iguanas, movies, comic books, winning, pizza, BBQ, computers, YouTube, EBay, Digg, drawing stick figures in random, usually violent, situations, playing guitar, Michael Moore documentaries, driving and mostly anything cherry flavored.

The last thing I would like to write about only my closest friends know, but since I'm writing about my favorite things, I might as well add it to the list. I love 80s music! I know you're probably thinking, "Wow, he must really like 80s music." WRONG! I LOVE 80s MUSIC. I love it like a parent loves his kids, like Al Gore loves green stuff, like Tony Danza loves being the boss.

My favorite groups and artists include Tears for Fears (I'm listening to "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" as I write), Guns 'N Roses, A-Ha, Styx (Domo Arigoto, Mr. Freaking-Roboto), Foreigner, The Police, A Flock of Seagulls, Corey Hart (I actually own a pair of sunglasses which I sometimes wear at night), Toto, Cutting Crew, Mr. Mister, Squeeze, REO Speedwagon (just a couple of songs)...

I'm gonna stop here because this is actually a little embarrassing, seriously.

2 comments:

Shawn Samuelson said...

thank you so much for posting this - it made me laugh today! This young man definitely has talent.

Alicia said...

He has more talent than he knows. If you like this one, watch for future posts from the same guest.