It's nearly spring and a lovely time to live in the south--the azaleas, flowering trees, and gentle breezes are poetic. But there's an interesting phenomenon with said trees and breezes. Sometimes, one such breeze will lift a visible cloud of pollen off a tree and hang it in the air for an impossibly long time. You may walk through the cloud if you choose, or you may walk across the street to avoid it.
But what if the tree could walk into a room and leave its cloud behind? That's what happens with the cloud of perfume, hairspray or aftershave that often lingers long after the bearer (or overbearer) has moved on.
And what if the overbearer wants to embrace? To quote a friend, "Sometimes, I hug someone and smell them on me the rest of the day. Is that fair? I didn't choose to smell that way!" Some folks like to hug trees, but I've never seen a tree offended if you choose to keep your distance.
What if that hug occurs in the morning and then you sit down with a cup of tea that ends up smelling more like Old Spice than chai spice? In approaching a gently-scented blossom, you may reach for it, take a pleasing whiff and move on without having to continue smelling blossom on your shirt, in your car, and in your dinner.
Some flowers don't actually smell so nice, but a subtle odor that stays with its blossom is preferable to a manufactured fragrance that leaves a long-lasting trail.
I am especially sensitive in vehicles since I have a propensity for carsickness. My queasiness is exacerbated by four things: sitting in the back, reading, looking back while the vehicle is in motion and strong smells (especially perfume and cigarette smoke).
The first three are easily managed:
"Anyone mind if I sit in the front?"
"No, I'm sorry, I can't look for your purse in the backseat."
"Can someone else read the directions?"
But that last one is troublesome. It's a bit harder to say, "Your aftershave makes me want to vomit" or to roll the windows down when it's 15 below. I'd rather not choose between losing my fingers to frostbite and losing my lunch.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment