Monday, February 16, 2009

Adore the Smore

Decades after it first made its messy way into my heart, I was finally reunited with the campfire smore in an unlikely place--my kitchen. That's right, after countless less-than-melty chocolate squares, un-roasted marshmallows, and mushy graham crackers, I have perfected the kitchen smore.

I'd like to share what I've learned so that you too may enjoy all the subtle nuances of the smore in the comfort of your very own home.

Many kitchen methods have proven insufficient in producing a graham-y, chocolaty and marshmallow-y treat worthy of the long-revered title of "smore."

For example, an impatient few will head straight to the microwave, where the marshmallow will balloon to unnatural proportions and the chocolate will puddle atop soggy graham cracker squares. Don't even bother.

Those with respect for the smore will try to incorporate fire in some way. This is commendable, but take heed.
Gas fireplaces melt the marshmallow nicely, but may also melt your face off. Matches are less dangerous, but 137 matches, two burnt fingers, and seven hours later, you'll be more in the mood for breakfast.

Candles seem promising at first because they provide a long-lasting flame, but do not be fooled. Vanilla-scented candles do not enhance the flavor and, trust me on this, you'd much rather smell Ocean Breeze than taste it.

The trick, smore lovers, is in the toaster. No, NOT the projectile waffle kind of toaster--you wouldn't be the first to try shoving a marshmallow between the wires and you wouldn't be the first to fail.

A successful kitchen smore requires a toaster OVEN with a broil setting, marshmallow and chocolate topped graham cracker squares, and a combination of patience, skill, and tenderness.

The broil setting provides a gentle browning effect for the marshmallow, melts the chocolate without turning it to liquid, and leaves the graham cracker crisp.

Delicately rotate the marshmallow as it browns and glory in the chocolate glow. The magic of the smore is back.

7 comments:

Dave said...

Thank you for your diligent research. I hope I didn't miss or add any apostrophes.

Alicia said...

Perfect apostrophe usage, sir. Thank you for respecting our helpful little friend.

Glad I could help on the smore front--I wish you all the best with them.

roboto said...

It's interesting that this blog would come on the heels of the apostrophe blog. I personally dislike the word "s'more" because of its usage of an apostrophe. BLECHHH! I think that words should have their rights to an apostrophe revoked:
lil'
'til
s'more
ma'am
hors d'œuvre

They...just...don't...fit!! The last one is such a weird one, and don't get me wrong because I love pretending I know French, but I don't think we should just adopt the use of the apostrophe in the word so readily. And the others...COME ON! That's not how apostrophes are supposed to be used. I mean, I guess in "s'more" it's used correctly to make a contraction, but...well, I guess I'm a stickler that contractions should come at the END of words, and usually replace just a letter or two, not 3/4 of a word!

*grumble*...

Alicia said...

The origin of the word isn't clear to me but could clear the issue up. For example, is it truly short for "some more"? I just don't know.

Since neither s'more nor smore is in the dictionary (at least not in the context of a delicious treat), I think we get to write it as we choose.

But I invite you to research it and be a guest writer on the topic.

But are you serious on ma'am? Do you prefer maam? Now THAT is BLECHHH!

roboto said...

My first thought..."nah, I'm not gonna waste my time and research this online."

My second thought..."Who am I kidding? It's going to drive me crazy until I figure this out. Besides, I already waste enough time online, right?"

An excerpt from the website:
http://www.holidayinsights.com/other/smoresday.htm


"The origin of S'mores dates back to the 1920's. It's believed the recipe was first discovered by Girl Scouts. S'more folklore suggests that S'mores got its name right by the campfire. After eating one, young kids chanted "gimme some more!"

While much is written about National S'mores Day, our research has been unable to verify that this is an officially recognized national day (which requires an act of Congress). Don't let that stop you from celebrating this day with a few S'mores."

And to your last point, I would actually prefer to spell the word "mam." Ma'am is not a contraction for anything, is it? Plus, sound out the word "man" then "mam" and you'll see they follow the same pattern. So why not spell it M-A-M? Rebuttal...?

Alicia said...

I suppose I should change it to "s'more" then but I'm not sure if folklore is a reliable enough source for me.

I'm not sure if ma'am is short for something but suggest researching the origin of the word to find out. ;)

After all, you did such a nice job with "s'more..."

roboto said...

From http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=m


"ma'am: 1668, colloquial shortening of madam (q.v.). Formerly the ordinary respectful form of address to a married woman; later restricted to the queen, royal princesses, or by servants to their mistresses."

Ok, so it is technically a contraction...but I still don't like it one bit!