Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Just Four Paws

Have you been affected by dwindling investments or dropping home prices in today's troubled economy? Save your money from risky banks and 401K plans by putting it in the one investment that is guaranteed to bring long-lasting returns--pet jewelry.

Where bone-shaped birthday cakes and puppy brownies fall short, personalized dog jewelry shows how much you really care.

There's nothing that says "I am loved" like a glitzy pet cuff (just $55):

or a matching set of charms for you and your pup:

Appeal to your dog's sense of irony with the "Diva Collar," which accents her real fur with fake fur:

If you want only the best for your dog, turn to the designer for the stars who caters to Ricky Estefan (Gloria’s Dalmatian), Lola De La Hoya (Oscar’s Chi) and Neal Tyler (Liv's pup).

Though pet fashion has come a long way over the years, some customers, like Michelle, express consternation about a largely unpublicized size bias. Michelle describes the emotional experience of looking for a "pretty necklace for [her] pretty princess" at Glitzy Pet Jewelry, and realizing that "all of the necklaces were biased towards toy or smaller dogs."

"Surely that's not possible," you might be thinking. Think again. Determined, Michelle persisted and got a custom necklace for her "girl" Zoe. The site now carries a special collection for "plus-size" dogs.

Michelle's sense of injustice is furthered by this $1,700 bed at Bling Bling Puppy, which is only big enough for dogs up to 25 pounds. Perhaps a little sensitivity training is in order?


Until this issue is addressed, Michelle will have to get by with a regular bed fitted with custom dog steps ($150 and up) for Zoe's ease.

Other gratuitous ways to spend money on things your dog doesn't understand include diamond earrings and Gucci carrying bags. You may also wish to grind $20 bills into a fine powder to mix with her food.

3 comments:

roboto said...

Ok, seriously...ground up $20 bills. HAHAHA! I seriously laughed so hard out loud at that.

I used to work at Bed, Bath & Beyond and we used to sell a smaller version of those doggy steps, and they used to sell out SOOO fast! It was insane!

And honestly, I'm not surprised by that industry. Those with money will continue to spend it however they would like to, recession or not.

At some point, do you think it crosses their minds...at ALL...that there are people struggling to feed kids here in America, or just the impoverished conditions in TheirTownVille, USA, and yet their animals are living it up in style? Evidently style trumps sustenance.

Lindsay E said...

Wow, I've become an official blog follower after this one. I grew up in a town where doggy bakeries are the norm, and where the city passed a law prohibiting the title "pet owner" on public signs. You could only display "pet guardian," because "owner" implied that the animals were property instead of companions.

There was also a big public controversy about protecting local prairie dogs, even though they dug holes all over the place that would make horses and cows break their legs when they stepped in them. People fought tooth-and-nail over the prairie dog rights!

Anyways, I do love animals...I can't lie. Even some cats. Well...sometimes. And I'm all-for animal rights and not using products that have been tested on animals. But I can't BELIEVE the doggy stairs would sell at ALL, much less very quickly. Craziness!!

roboto said...

Wow, fa'real-fa'real?!?! I struggle to believe that people care that much more about animals than they do about other people.

To be up front here, I love animals, particularly cats, and most dogs (except the huge ones that don't realize they're so big and push you around. Oh yeah, and they lick your hands JUST after you washed them...*sigh*).

While I don't condone cruelty to animals AT ALL, I also don't condone the use of the phrases "animal rights" or "inhumane treatment of animals."

Since they are animals, I don't believe that they actually HAVE rights! Should we respect them? Absolutely! But please show me where the Constitution says that animals have any sort of rights!

Also, for conditions of animals to be described as "inhumane"...yeah, well, animals AREN'T human, so why should they have conditions that humans have? Again, don't get me wrong. Animals still require food, water, exercise, love and respect. But do they need clothing? Do they require bathing? Ok, that one's arguable, but technically they don't because they are WILD animals and take care of themselves.

*steps down from his soapbox*