An article on CNN states that "We will not turnaround this economy until we start to turn around housing."Turnaround is a noun, turn around is an action. In this case, they got it right the second time around. It's the same pattern with workout and work out. One word is a noun: a good workout. Two words indicate an action: I'm going to go work out.
There are lots of words like this--words that mean one thing as one word and something else entirely as two words. It's really not fair, I know, but it's true.
Thankfully, the words from a song by Jonny Lang apply to editing and writing as well as to life: "The choices you make might be mistakes, but it's never too late to turn around."
1 comment:
JONNY LANG!!!! Yeah, baby! I'm so glad he made it into a blog. Every time I see the word "turnaround," I can't help but start singing the song.
And thanks for the info...I actually did not know the official difference between the two! I'm usually one to shy away from using phrases or words that I'm not positive of (or..."of which I am not positive"). I am proud to reintroduce the following words into my lexicon:
turnaround
turn around
workout
work out
everyday
everyday (I actually already knew the difference with these...)
kickboxing
kick boxing (HA! That's the verb which means to kick the habit of boxing)
Oh grammar, how I love thee.
Post a Comment