I can't imagine being Susan on her second performance. The first time she faced the audience she was the ultimate underdog. They laughed and jeered and were then humbled as she wildly exceeded their expectations. The second time she faced the audience, she was a symbol of hope. She'd given the whole world goosebumps 100 million+ times on YouTube.com. She had to know that the whole world would tune in again looking for those same goosebumps. Talk about high expectations.
I was on board with Amanda when she said that she was biting her nails for Susan in hopes that she would deliver another stunning performance. I can't say this performance wowed me like the first one (how could it?), but it was lovely and she still earned her place as a finalist on Britain's Got Talent.
My favorite part was the interview afterwards where she showed what we all fell in love with in the first place--her funny and quirky little self.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I had to go back and read the previous Boyle thread to see what I had said. Turns out I dind't say it on your blog...DANG, no proof! Anyway, I don't think that Susan will win the competition. And while she has a beautiful voice, I also don't think she'll do incredibly well in the music industry as a whole. You see, while many people LIKE that type of music (opera? Broadway? Popera?), honestly, how many Il Divo albums do you own? Or Charlotte Church? Josh Groban is the outlier here, but how about Pavoratti or the other two tenors? Or how about the 10 Tenors? Sure, it's great music, lots of people love it, but do they sell well? Well enough to make multiple albums, sure. Even well enough to become household names. But well enough to be the next musical sensation? Nah. Will Susan Boyle bring her belted lullabies to the masses, reintroducing people to....this type of music (what IS it considered?!?!?)? Likely, she won't. She went viral, people loved it, and subsequently every video from the show Britain's Got Talent has gone on to produce hundreds of thousands if not millions of views.
Also, another trouble is that the UK doesn't typically release their music to the general American public without a big to-do. If people really want Susan's music, they'll have to take an active role in hunting it down. It won't be found at your local Wal-Mart this year. And if it ever appears there, it will be some years later, after many other vids have gone viral and people are wildly obsessed with the "next" musical sensation.
Also, though a long post this may be, I thought I would comment on the fact that SOOOO many people out there are now judging this performance based on its musicality, which is great, don't get me wrong. In fact, it's how it should be. Lots of people have had humble or difficult backgrounds and have fought and cried their ways to make the most of their opportunities. But while the main focus on Susan was originally on how shocking and unexpected her voice way, that focus has shifted. The question now is can she VOCALLY compete with the other performers this year?
All that being said, I still have a heart for the underdog. Susan has reignited a spark in many, and gave so many people whom the world had written off the hope they needed.
Zero Il Divo albums, zero Charlotte Church albums and all of the Josh Groban albums.
I'm with you in the respect that I don't expect to buy anything from Susan Boyle. I'm sold on the human interest element more than the actual music.
What about Broadway? Could she have a future there?
You know, I could see her doing SOME Broadway or London theater productions, but unfortunately she will be quite limited by her physical appearance. What I mean by that is that she will only be able to play the roles of moms or aunts or teachers. Also, I have no idea what her ability is to act. Not everyone who can sing can act. She obviously knows how to ham it up a bit, but can she act? We'll see...
I DO think she would do quite well playing the teacher in the show Billy Elliott. That movie is BRILLIANT, and the music from the show is AWESOME (see Amanda for your copy), and it just won scores of Tony awards here in the states, though it debuted out in London. She would do quite well with that.
Regardless, her dreams of singing in front of the masses (IS that her dream?) have come true. And I honestly think she will be able to make herself a career out of music.
Now for the winner of Britain's Got Talent.......
Shaun Smith
That's my prediction. Not that he's by any means the best singer, but he has a certain star quality to him.
If you haven't already, check out his audition here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgiJJsWbOE
I'd love to see Susan Boyle as the teacher in Billy Elliot.
Hadn't seen Shaun before, but I like him. If he were a bit younger (and if he can act?), he'd make a brilliant Billy.
Post a Comment