The movie "Love Story" made this line famous: "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Of all the assinine love quotes, this one's gotta top the list.
I say I'm sorry to my friends, my roomies, my clients...I'd even say it to my dog if I had one.
This is where the text phenomenon comes in handy (pun intended). The text message eliminates the sweaty palms and stumbling first words: "Hey, ummmmmmm, well, see, the thing is. Yeah, hey, uhhhhh. Soooooo, uh, can we talk?"
No more working up the courage to knock on someone's door. You can apologize from the next room using carefully chosen words with exactly the right amount of humility and humor, "Srry I threw a pizza at ur face. bff 4evr? :)"
You can sit on the same couch and let your thumbs do all the work. You write "Hey, sorry I snapped at you earlier. It wasn't personal. Hugs!" Voila--reconciled.
Or, you can sit across the table from each other with a crowd of oblivious guests between. Eventually, you both look up, cell phones still glowing, give a wink or a smile, and move on.
God bless the text message for making it easier to say you're sorry--frequently and sincerely--in the 21st century.
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment