When I was a kid, one of my favorite movies was "The Neverending Story." Brilliance! If you ask anyone if that's a good movie their response will be, "I LOVE that movie." Unless of course their response is, "Actually, I never saw it." Which is easily combated with, "WHAT?!?! Oh man, it's great! Let's watch it sometime!" Here's where the trouble begins.
I recently had the chance to watch that movie again with some friends--all of us in love with it except for one who hadn't seen it. Popcorn was popped, shoes thrown off, and couches circled. Everyone was nice and cozy. After we giggled about the cheesy 80s effects, we settled in for the long haul to greatness. During the following hour and a half, I realized that this was a terrible movie with some shining moments. I mean stinky terrible. Seriously, Bastion (main character and lovable loner reading in the school's attic), actually talks to his sandwich at one point. After two bites, he speaks to it as he puts it away, "No....we've got a looooong way to go."
Wow, it was a real stinker.
Now, that's not to say I don't still love the movie. I think it's actually cinematic gold. It did its job of entertaining children and leaving a long-lasting impression. Just the fact that we thought it was brilliant and lovingly remembered it proved what a great movie it truly is.
This retrospect started because I went to a Mexican restaurant this week...wait, I'm sorry, a "Mexican" restaurant which hardly any of my friends like. They all complain that it's not authentic Mexican food. I chuckle to myself a bit every time they say that because I was raised on rice and beans at least three times per week. I'm a for-real for-real Mexican. I love it too, but that's another day.
Anyway, I happen to really enjoy this restaurant. I have had good memories and great experiences. I can even say that I have always enjoyed their food. So I went there with a mission: to prove how authentic and delicious their food is and once and for all say it to all my friends. I wanted to stand up for their AUTHENTIC Mexican cooks and staff. By a friend's recommendation, I ordered the Mexican Chicken. Again, that's where the trouble began.
Let's just say that I have fond memories of this restaurant and that it's...pleasant. Americanized? Sure, but hey, we're in America and it's tough to find non-Americanized Mexican food. (*By the way, an enchirito from Taco Bell...NOT real Mexican food.) After going back and eating one more time to prove my point that it's good food, I've settled on simply saying that it's a Mexican restaurant...without the quotation marks.
The Neverending Story = (This unnamed) Mexican restaurant.
Friday, March 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hated that movie as a kid. I cried it was so scary. I also hated E.T. because it scared the pee out of me. I don't enjoy watching these movies even now because of the awful feelings I get from them.
Memory stinks sometimes...
Post a Comment