Wednesday, February 10, 2010

For the love of a pen

There is something seriously satisfying about writing with the perfect pen. If Goldilocks sat down at the bears' desks in search of something to write home with, it might have been a ball point that was neither too thick, nor too thin; not too inky, but not too dry; and with a point that was neither too fine nor too broad. A pen that was just right. For me, that sort of pen has black ink and a fine point (.05, to be exact); it writes smoothly; and it doesn't bleed, smear, spot, or smudge. And it's a delight that makes me relish the feel of the pen on the page. So delightful is it, in fact, that I'll make excuses to write and scribble and draw.

And I'm not alone. True pen lovers have stores, online forums, and even conventions dedicated to the quest for the perfect pen. Would you count yourself among such enthusiasts? Or maybe you're just somebody who would dig through the drawer an extra moment in search of that pen that's just right for journaling; penning fiction; doodling; creating; writing letters (gasp!); or simply signing checks. As for a journal that's just right...well that's a topic for another day.

In the meantime, I need to go to the store. I have a hankering for pens.

No comments: