
There's an African proverb that says, "When you pray, move your feet."
About 300 people lived this out on March 7th, 1965 when they marched across Selma, Alabama's Edmund Pettus Bridge. The day became known as "Bloody Sunday" and the bridge became a symbol for the civil rights movement, drew attention to the struggle, and eventually caused President Johnson to sign the Voting Rights Act.
Project Dance gives us a chance to "move our feet" again in Selma. The vision is to get as many people as possible together to dance to "Jai Ho" on the Edmund Pettus Bridge. It's an opportunity to give the bridge a new meaning--one of unity, hope and progress--and broadcast it to the world on YouTube.
The slogan is "Express, Progress, Believe."
I will, I must, I do.
6 comments:
I am SO excited for this! I believe that I will get the opportunity to Jai Ho a total of THREE TIMES in the coming weeks!
This might sound silly, but I have honestly thought in the past that I was born to dance. My proof is three-fold.
1. I love the movie Billy Elliott and get TOTALLY moved when he dances in anger!
2. I really enjoy letting COMPLETELY loose in my bedroom and in the living room (if nobody's home), particularly to African or Indian music.
3. My wicked toe-point.
Though it sounds ridiculous, I am so dead serious.
Amazing, what a beautiful project.
We had a Bloody Sunday in northern Ireland too, when unarmed protesting civilians were fired on by British soldiers (several in the back as they tried to run to safety). A generation later, when a big watchtower and barracks was torn down in Belfast as part of the peace process, the local neighbourhood held a dance on the paved-over site, and my generation could watch their own kids celebrating in a whole different world, one without war. There is no revenge as sweet as joy.
I can't wait to see this dance on the Edmund Pettus Bridge! And I would so love to be there with you on that day!
Susan!
That touches me so much! I had no idea that there was a Bloody Sunday in Ireland. It's incredible to see how strong the human will is and how dance is becoming a way to express our beliefs and celebrate the freedom attained by others' lives.
I appreciate you sharing that so much.
As the visionary for this vision, I ask that all who read this blog come to dance on the bridge!
Thank you!
Roboto--
You are so dead serious, it's true. You were meant for dance and this dance was meant for you. Can't wait to move my feet with you.
Kylie--
Thank you for organizing. Susan's comments are confirmation to do what's in your heart--to pursue, pursue and pursue.
Susan--
Do join us, we'd love to have you. And THANK YOU for the inspiration and support.
Kylie, yes, pursue it! I'll spread the word over here, who knows?
The Irish band U2 sang a song called Bloody Sunday (oh Lord when I was young? so many years ago LOL) about the war here. If you look up 'Bloody Sunday' in Wikipedia, we're the 1972.
A bridge is such a wonderfully symbolic thing, too, for such an event--both the one in 1965 and the one you plan. It's a beautiful project all around.
Post a Comment