Thursday, April 30, 2009

From Cynicism to Stardom--Why We Adore Susan Boyle

If you're over five years old and have been awake anytime in the last week, you've heard of Susan Boyle--the quirky, middle-aged Scottish woman with the beautiful voice. The clip of her audition on Britain's Got Talent has been viewed 7 gazillion times (6 gazillion by myself alone) on YouTube.com, there's rumor that she's working on a record deal, and she's receiving fan mail from all over the world.

As I've mentioned before, I don't tend to jump on societal trends, but I've unabashedly embraced Susan Boyle.

Susan's story has been repeatedly compared to a fairy tale and it just happens to be one that plays out on screen in only seven minutes. Think of it--the fairy tale opens when we meet our heroine on stage in front of three judges who live up to the many meanings of their title (including "to pass sentence on; condemn") and an audience of snickering, eye-rolling critics for a day. Not unlike David and his Goliath, or Rudy of the 1976 Notre Dame football team, Susan faces off against a seemingly impenetrable foe. It's not Simon Cowell and his eye rolling or the audience's jeering and mocking whistles. Nope. Amanda identifies it best in her post-performance comments--Susan's villain is cynicism.

And Ms. Boyle's foe is banished within the first ten words of her performance, when the jaws of all three judges hit the floor and millions of goosebumps simultaneously pop up on audience members' arms
.

But the victory isn't in those goosebumps or the long standing ovation our heroine receives. It isn't in the three emphatic yeses that allow her to go on to the next round. It isn't in our tears. It's in Susan Boyle being herself and knowing that was enough.

We cried (admit it) because we've all faced a similar foe (sometimes in ourselves and sometimes in others) and haven't always handled it with the "cheeky grin" and confidence of Susan Boyle.


The long-term victory for the world's sweetheart will be to remain exactly who she is no matter what--because we love her for it--and because in so doing, she gives us permission to do the same.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


3 comments:

roboto said...

It is quite interesting to me that Susan Boyle has become such a phenomenon. Stars such as Susan have been shocking judges and audiences alike for quite some time now on these reality shows. My two best examples would be Niki Evans on the UK version of X-Factor and Clay Aiken on season 2 of American idol.

Niki's audition, a subtle and heartfelt rendition of "I Will Always Love You" brought me to tears the first many times I watched it. She was just a frumpy-looking mom who was raising kids and was following her father's dream of her becoming a star. She went on to do quite well in the competition.
(I don't know how to insert links well, so here's hoping...)
Audition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju8QBT1UebE
GREAT performance of "Nothing Compares to You":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZwEmlXbnO0
STUNNING performance of "My Heart Will Go On":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWMe9roxdBU&feature=related

Clay Aiken, was told quite directly by Simon Cowell, "Very good. You don't look like a pop star, but you've got a great voice," after blowing him and Randy Jackson away with his version of "Always & Forever." The geeky, lanky, yet somehow self-confident singer stood his ground and though he didn't win the competition, he completely won over the American public. His debut album "Measure of a Man," sold 613,000 copies in its first week of sales....that's over halfway to a platinum album in one single week!
Audition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkqsBNABG4k
ALMOST winning performance of "Bridge Over Troubled Water":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC9SKjdoTXg

It's lovable nobodies such as Niki and Clay who have paved the way for the world to fall in love with their own inner, misjudged yet self-confident Susan Boyles.

roboto said...

Oh, I forgot to add this...

Unfortunately, whether the British or world public likes it or not, the producers and stylists of the show will never let Susan Boyle remain who she is on the outside. She'll be fluffed, puffed, glammed, glittered, dyed and styled into a "new & improved" Susan Boyle. However, to your point, Frontline, I seriously can't see Susan changing who she is internally, other than feeling overwhelmingly loved by everyone. Love HAS to change you. In fact, love and truth are the only things I have ever known to cause change in my life.

Frontline Ink said...

Roboto--thanks for the links to such great material. Leave it to the biggest idol fan I know to dig that stuff up.

I always love a good underdog story. I don't care how many times Hollywood retells the same story--if it's done well and I can relate to it (like Shawshank Redemption and Slumdog Millionaire), send the Kleenex my way.

I can't say I agree with your assessment of Niki Evans as "frumpy looking" but I found her audition (and her voice) touching.

I also love the idea of falling in love with your own inner Boyle but can't get the highly unpleasant definition of boil out of my head.