Saturday, January 10, 2009

Selma Community Chorus

I'm not exactly a natural singer or hip hopper. So I was already feeling out of my element when I showed up for Selma Community Chorus on Thursday. The group will perform for the Third Annual Dr. King Celebration. I let the sign-up sheet go right past me the first time, thinking maybe I'd just slip out if it got a little too far past my comfort zone.

Then I heard that there would be choreography too. Yep, dancing AND singing. I almost knocked over the metal chairs as I stumbled for the exit. Fortunately, I remembered from previous experience with the director, Amanda, that she is much more interested in heart and attitude than in perfect pitch. That stopped me from walking out the door. That, and Kim's iron grip on my arm. Kim helped me find the notes and I finally signed my name to the sheet.

No matter what the song, Amanda stomps, jumps, sways and closes her eyes as she feels the music. She sets the example and swears that if we'll just commit to the note, the dance move, the emotion and power of the moment, we'll look right doing it (even if we're wrong). Not just right, but good actually.

I figured if I was going to be there, I may as well follow the director's direction. So I sang and stomped and closed my eyes when I felt the harmony.

And I showed up for practice again today.

No comments: