A recent email to Obama-Biden supporters demonstrates an everyday error. We've discussed this before, so refer back to November 11th for another example.Do you see the problem here? Everyday is an adjective (and therefore modifies a noun). Every day, on the other hand, is a description of frequency.
Therefore, the highlighted word in the email here should be two words.
Need a handy trick? As a former English teacher, it just so happens that I have one.
*If you can substitute each day then it should be two words.
--I find grammatical errors every day.
*If it modifies a noun, it should be one word.
--Finding grammatical errors is an everyday activity.
Need a handy trick? As a former English teacher, it just so happens that I have one.
*If you can substitute each day then it should be two words.
--I find grammatical errors every day.
*If it modifies a noun, it should be one word.
--Finding grammatical errors is an everyday activity.
No comments:
Post a Comment