A mountain of mashed potatoes. Carrot casserole in cheese sauce. Authentic Thai noodles (thanks Panida!!). Cranberry sauce. Cookies. Cupcakes. And of course the plate of turkey that still overflows even though our gracious host sent bags full home with every guest.
When I look in the fridge today, the word bounty comes to mind. Though it may seem a strange word to use in 2008--a year in which high gas prices, shrinking retirement accounts and a struggling economy dominate conversation--it helps to have a little perspective.
My host's local newspaper discusses how much we have to be thankful for in the midst of trying times and brings back an article written during WWII. During a time of much more struggle and scarcity than the present, our nation stopped to be thankful for the half loaf of bread the rations allowed. The article discusses how, during times of plenty, we are more prone to take it for granted.
So even though times are tight for many close to me, I'm ever so grateful for a full holiday and a full belly. I'm grateful for the chance to travel and be with family and for a room in a warm home with hospitable hosts who will drive hours to the airport, rearrange plans and provide meal after lovely meal. I'm thankful for authentic Thai food, and even more so, for the authentic chefs. Oh yes, this Thanksgiving was more than just sufficient: it was bountiful.
Article: Plenty to be Thankful for in Worse Times Than These
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
To get links to be openable, try:
W3 link example editor.
I can't get a preview yet, but I think this is correct.
Dale
Post a Comment