Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Grammar Wall of Shame (everyday versus every day)

It's too small to read, but at the very bottom it says, "I wish you the greatest of success, and remember, being healthy is like making your bed. It really is something we have to work at everyday."

Do you see the problem here? Everyday is an adjective (and therefore modifies a noun). Every day, on the other hand, is a description of frequency.

The sentence above should be changed to the following: It really is something we have to work at every day.

Need a handy trick? As a former English teacher, it just so happens that I have one.
*If you can substitute
each day then it should be two words.
--I find grammatical errors
every day.
*If it modifies a noun, it should be one word.
--Finding grammatical errors is an
everyday activity.

No comments: