Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Commonly Confused Words: It's versus Its

All right, blog followers, let's discuss one of the more confusing (and yet still simple) nuances of the English language: the difference between its and it's.

I understand where the confusion comes from. It seems
counter intuitive that the dog chews its bone (not it's bone) since we've always been taught that the apostrophe indicates ownership. Isn't it the dog's bone? I hear ya, believe me, but trust your geeky friend on this one and go with this rule:

it is=it's
it has= it's


Use its for everything else. That's all there is to it.

So for the quote above, do you see the problem? It got
it's right the second time, but the first its should be it's too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just edited a document yesterday that had several its' in it. They were using that as the possessive. Not once, not twice, but three times. At least they were consistent! -- Jill