Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It's not me, it's you

Dear "Biggest Loser, "

When I first met you in fall, 2009, it was love at first sight. I looked forward to our time together on Tuesday evenings and I enjoyed laughing with you, crying with you, and being challenged by you. I felt drawn to you by your efforts to make the world a better place and was touched by your contestants. Like Daniel and his empathy for Shay; Coach Mo and his sweet smile and unassuming demeanor; and Abby, my favorite from the start, with her genuine heart and amazing attitude. And when that dear sweet soul talked about her devastating loss and the way it sucked the life out of her, I cried. But it just made it that much more rewarding when she spoke about regaining that spark and that joy of life.

We went through hard times too, but we came out better. Like when one of your contestants tried to make excuses and Jillian said, "I'm not going to co-sign on your bulls%*t." I cheered and clapped at your honesty and your courage to push her to that breakthrough she so desperately needed.

So I looked forward to our reunion in 2010. But I'm afraid, Biggie, that you've changed. Suddenly, it seems you're all drama and no heart. So far, you have only a few contestants I really want to get behind (shout out to the tenacious Stephanie and the endearing cousins with giant hearts). I'm sorry to say that I spend a lot more time rolling my eyes and a lot less time feeling your story. I'm just not sure we have that much in common anymore.

If things don't change between us, I'm moving on to bigger and better things. I only have so much room on the DVR and I'm not going to waste it on unnecessary drama and bad attitudes.

I do care about you, my dear show, and I hope we can work things out.

2 comments:

Shawn Samuelson said...

Please Biggest Loser, give us something to laugh and cry about again. I really don't want to end our relationship - it has so much potenital to be something great! But I can't lower my standard - I only have so much time in the day and it can't be wasted on just another reality show.

Unknown said...

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree! This used to be the only show I watched. No, really. I still don't turn on the tube on other nights, but Tuesdays I usually walk in and out of the room to do laundry instead of sitting glued. A sad loss for everyone.