Thursday, November 5, 2009

"Wankees" and Other Spoonerisms

I started to ask a question this morning: "Did the Wankees...?" You'll understand why I was unable to finish the question due to fits of laughter. The questionee helped me out by not making me try again. Instead she just confirmed that the Yankees did win.

And it started me thinking about fun language slip ups I've had.
Like the time I called the music shop and asked if they had someone who could "toot my flune." What I really wanted was someone to tune my flute.

And just last week, as I watched my favorite high school football team fumble ball, after ball, after ball, I thought up a cheer to encourage them to hold on to the pigskin. In my head, it went like this: Put on your sticky fingers, hey, hey, hey!" It came out of my mouth like this: "Put on your sticker fingies" and I never even got to the
heys.

I know I'm not the only one with language slip ups like these, so I wanted to hear yours. Go on, put it out there and we'll all have a laugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just last night I was trying to recount an experience with a boss who always makes for funny situations so I said, "I think the storiest funny about Jared is..."

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I was teaching a freshmen class some basic typing skills. With a lot of enthusiasm, I told them to hold down the shift key to make a capital letter. But they didn't quite understand. So I said it louder (like that helps)...Except this time I accidentally left out the fourth letter.