There's a song on my IPod with a play count of 42. It is, of course, "Central Park" from King Kong. Forty-two frankly seems low considering how much I've sought it out for the last two years. Even the other songs on my top 25 most played list (like "Kothbiro" from The Constant Gardener and "God and Nature" from Amazing Grace) come in a distant second in play count. I found the track by liking the composer, James Newton Howard, not by watching the movie. So when I listened to it, I heard and pictured only what the music itself moved my soul to hear and picture.
The trouble is, I watched King Kong last week and today, as I listened, I pictured King Kong holding a laughing Ann Barrow (Naomi Watts) and sliding playfully across the skating rink in Central Park. Curse you, oversized (but totally endearing and lovable) gorilla!
Guess I need some new suggestions for a soul-stirring instrumental song (or one with non English lyrics). Anybody? Hello? Are you still reading, people?
P.S. I know I've been silent a while, but come back tomorrow, I'm going for two days in a row.
7 comments:
Try "Flying" from Shine soundtrack. Good one-never seen the movie, but beautiful music.
I'm gonna need a little help. I have that soundtrack actually, but couldn't find the track.
Maybe kind of generic, but I always find some general Beethoven really focusing and relaxing.
Also, Eileen has introduced me to a Spanish cellist named Lalo. Really great stuff!
And as always, Josh Groban makes for wonderful background stuff, because it's so warm and soothing, and every other song is in another language.
I'll check the suggestions out. Thanks for the help Heidi and roboto!
I find I spend a lot of time listening to the soundtracks to the movies "Still Breathing" (Jim Cullum Jazz Band and Paul Mills composer) and "Pride & Prejudice" (Dario Marianelli). Really beautiful music, and really beautiful movies as well!
Hoppipolla - Sigur Ros
One of my all time favorites :)
Anne Frank - Freedom Writers, Miri Ben-Ari
Cast Away Theme - Alan Silvestri
Goodnight Dear Void - You've Got Mail, George Fenton
I Am Legend, Main Title - James Newton Howard
I Met Someone - Return To Me, Nicholas Pike
Tu Es Mon Autre - Lara Fabian et Maurane
One of my all time most played tracks on my itunes is from the movie Serenity, score by David Newman:
Love
Close seconds are
Roz Returns To Texas - Still Breathing, Paul Mills
Still Breathing Medley - Still Breathing, James Cullum Jazz Band
Most recently,
The Passenger - Book Of Eli, Atticus Ross
The Journey - Book Of Eli, Atticus Ross
:) just thought I'd throw out a whole slew of ideas for you!
I don't know any of this music but I would sincerely like to get to know them better. I really love the visual of King Kong ice skating!
Post a Comment