Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's All Well and Good

This ad demonstrates a common error with well and good. Good is an adjective and adjectives are used to describe nouns. Well is an adverb and is used to modify a verb.

In case I lost you with the parts of speech talk, think of it this way: you can have a good thing (noun) but an action (verb) is done well.

I slept (verb) well.
I had a good sleep (noun).

I am doing (verb) well today.
I had a good day (noun).

But the question I know you're really asking is if those suspendease they're advertising actually work "good" and well, I just don't know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, you're the ending expert! Will you come teach my endings unit in Creative Writing next year?

Anonymous said...

Um...did you notice the subject verb error, too? You should write them and ask if they want to hire you!

Alicia said...

I think you may have missed all the posts about my shortcomings as a teacher. :)